Thursday, April 23, 2009

Keeping a Diaper Pail

Some people are intimidated by using cloth diapers, and to tell you the truth, I once was as well...but once you start using cloth, you won't want to go back.

But, what do you do with the dirty diapers? You keep a diaper pail. This could be a large bucket or a small tote container placed up out of reach of little ones. (I keep mine on top of the dryer) After changing the baby's diaper, you place the dirty diaper and cloth wipes in the pail.

I personally choose to use a dry pail for a few reasons, the primary one being I don't like the idea of having dirty water to deal with. I have not had a problem with odors using a dry pail. I do not have a lid on this pail....placing a lid on your diaper pail will contribute to the growth of bacteria and buildup of ammonia odor.

If odors become a problem, sprinkle a little baking soda on top of the diapers every time you add one to the bucket. When wash time comes, rinse your bucket with warm water. To sanitize, spray the bucket with a diluted bleach if you wish, just be sure the bleach has dried before adding any PUL covers to it.

Happy Diapering,

Momma Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment